Saturday, October 30, 2010

On getting the opportunity...

There are times when I wish I had a camera that I could attach to the back of my eye, or perhaps to the side, which I could trigger automatically...

To give a f'rinstance, we were in Opononi this past weekend. A morning trip to Rawene and a good lunch and we were heading back to Opo.

On the 8km road between Rawene and SH12 there is a left bend followed by a right sweeper. On the left is a farmhouse with all of the usual things going on.

This time around there was a rather large goose in the long grass at the side of the road, its neck outstretched, guarding its nest in the grass. Hovering overhead was a harrier hawk with its wings thrashing to keep itself out of reach of the goose and its talons outstretched...

At 85-90 kph that little tableau lasted for perhap no more than half a second and it was past. There was no chance to stop and grab what would have been an amazing shot. A second earlier, a second later, and it would probably not have existed.

_____________________________________________

I find it difficulty to get regular with the photohunt thing. I must keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment